As many as 90% of pet owners agree it is important to read ingredient labels before making a pet food or treat purchase. That’s according to a recent survey of U.S. dog and cat owners initiated by Kerry.
At Law Print, we’re used to dealing with enquiries from pet food producers and packers who are trying to create a fresh new brand, with packaging that deals with all the concerns their target audiences may have.
In this blog, we’re looking at the ways in which flexible packaging can provide a lifeline to those in the industry who may be struggling to satisfy the three main wants that a customer may have. The main reason a customer is reading a label is to gather information on 3 main make-or-break requirements.
- Freshness – will this packaging keep my pet’s food fresh for as long as possible?
- Convenience – does this product have a resealable zipper so I can re-close it after use?
- Sustainability – is this packaging fully recyclable?
In order to cater to these conditions of purchase, there are certain procedures that can be put in place which will make sure your bags are the stand-out option.
Pet food owners are changing the way they think about freshness
Freshness is a trending topic within the pet food industry but is most closely associated with the fresh food finished product format.
The freshness of pet food has a different connotation to what it may have had a few years ago. With the introduction of real ingredients and the huge way in which it took off, pet owners aren’t settling for less.
This adds more pressure to a business to not only produce said food but to find a way to sustainably pack it too. You can read more about the most suitable packaging for pet food in our blog here.
Customers want to feed their animals ‘human food’
A third of pet owners are willing to spend 25% or more on products that include recognizable ingredients.
These include meats and veggies, and other raw ingredients. It is increasingly obvious that only the best will do for a customer’s pets, especially after the pandemic!
Having these ingredients listed on the back of your bags and a few featured on the front will definitely help.
Convenience is a huge attractant
As freshness and sustainability is high on the list of priorities for a customer, it’s only natural that they gravitate to a brand that has extra convenience options attached to their product.
- Windows – Food brands especially have come to realise the benefits of windows, with it recently proven that many consumers are selecting products on the basis of being able to view the contents
- Reseal Zipper – As well as preserving a product, zippers have the added benefit of locking in aromas while also preventing unwanted leaks and spills
- Aplix® Zipper – The hook & loop closure system has been adopted in recent projects for powdery products or snack-sized pouches that need to be close and re-open quickly and often
Sustainability is central to repeat loyalty
By choosing our Ready2Recycle mono material bags, you’re already one step closer to the perfect combination of shelf life, recyclability and brand transparency.
Mono material bags play a huge role in a buyer’s journey. To know that a bag can be disposed of correctly is a huge plus for a customer. And those brands who choose recyclable material for their bags are more likely to see repeat custom.
So many customers are now asking for support to enhance the sustainability of the packaging they use, and too often, they will jump on the bandwagon of new material trends or move suppliers for packaging alternatives that are not in fact suitable to their products.
Gaining that repeat custom can be as simple as choosing Ready2Recycle for your next packaging project so please get in touch if you’d like to know more.
How can Law Print help you to reduce your business’s carbon footprint?
As a responsible packaging supplier, we have always worked closely with our customers in offering them the right packaging for their products, considering:
1) Optimisation – by reducing total packaging waste, optimising storage and distribution without impairing pack performance
2) Lightweighting – by improving environmental impact through reduced material usage, production and transportation emissions
3) Recyclability – by creating packaging to ensure limited food waste and offering mono material solutions
To conclude, customers are clued up on what exactly they want and they expect brands to deliver!
If your brand is looking to invest in quality packaging, we will guide you through the entire print process. Providing recommendations along the way to improve efficiency, reduce costs and add untold value to the end product.